Author: Christopher
•11:16 AM

Just sitting here at work on a slow Wednesday. It's February and it's cold outside - not a very busy month for a roofing and siding business.

I'm bored. Almost.

I haven't been bored in a long time. Boredom is the one true sign that your life lacks a higher purpose. If you have a super huge goal or purpose for your life, then it will seep upwards through the cracks of your life, filling in the time gaps and assuring that you are never bored. If you have empty time on your hands, nothing to do, nobody to talk to, no phone calls to make, then you are lacking a higher purpose.

Which got me thinking about my granddad.

I'll never forget him as he sat in his too big lazy chair, his body thin from the cancer, a robe wrapped around him. "I only wish that I had done more for Jesus," he said pointing his finger at me, "Don't waste your life!"

This man who had children, grandchildren, and great-grandchildren, whose house was paid off, who had a good pension, who had lived a very healthy life (he mowed his own lawn into his 80's), told me that his one regret was not living for the Lord. As he was about to step out into eternity, he looked back over his shoulder and said, "Chris, don't waste your life."

He didn't tell me to start my own business or go back to college. He didn't tell me that he wished he would have traveled the world. He just wished that he would have done more for Jesus.

"I'm going to see Him soon," he said.

When I'm bored, and my life lacks purpose, I always think about my Granddad. I take a hard look at myself to see how I've spent my time. What should I have done differently? Where could I have changed a few things?

I don't do it because of my Granddad. I do it because I really love Jesus. I want to stand before him - like Paul did - having done everything that I could. I want him to know that when my life got quiet, my mind went to thoughts of Him . . . not to mundane, earthly, wasteful things.

I don't want to waste my life.
|
This entry was posted on 11:16 AM and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

1 comments:

On February 3, 2010 at 1:33 PM , SacrificeofPraise said...

:) Always a good reminder.