Author: Christopher
•3:50 PM



I was just talking with my brother about grace.
He suggested that I type up a post that tells what the grace walk looks like. Is it an 'anything goes' sort of life? If I enter the 'grace-led' life, will I have to change everything that I do as a Christian? Will I dye my hair purple and get a nose ring? etc.


For me, the grace life LOOKS a lot like my former religious life. I still go to church. I still go to a small group. I still tell people about Jesus. I still read my Bible, and love to do word studies. I still love to pray, and sing, and fellowship with other believers. I love my wife and kids. I work hard at my job. I respect my parents. I love missionaries, and good preaching.

The difference is that I am not as hampered by the traditions of men. Do I still have some man-made traditions in my life? Yeah, but now I can better see them for what they are. Some of them are left-over 'masks,' some are 'band-aids,' and some are 'crutches.' Knowing this is helping to bring healing to these areas of my life; I am becoming a better human being under grace.

The difference is that I have more inner peace. I know that I am accepted in Christ. I am not trying to gain favor with God by crossing my t's and dotting my i's. I have a stillness in my heart that I didn't have before. I hear God better than I did.

The difference is that I laugh more. I am not so 'stuffy.' I can let my guard down. I can be a 'normal' person. I am not as two-dimensional as I was. (sigh of relief) I can play Texas Hold 'em Poker without a guilty conscience, or ad-lib a rap song in public about why I love my wife. (LOL) And I have friends that I never had before. Close ones. Ones that are like family.

The difference is that I can be more 'real' and more 'relevant.' I don't have to wear my hair like my preacher does. I can wear more contemporary clothes, and the frames of my glasses are kind of cool. My wife got a tattoo...and then a few more, and I had to admit that the New Testament gives her that liberty. I couldn't just judge her action with a broad brush, I had to give her the liberty that Christ gives her. That was hard, but under grace, I have to allow other people the freedom to walk with God themselves; I can't tell them how to walk with God. (another heavy burden taken off my shoulders)

The difference is that I am not as critical of other believers (although I am harsher in my words against 'religion' and the traditions that unnecessarily bind up God's children). Denominations are not as distinct. I am not of Cephas, or of Apollos, or of this group, or of that one; I'm just a Jesus-lovin' Christ-follower. And if you're one too, then I'd love to hear all about it!!

The difference is that the love I feel for Jesus has exponentially increased, and my worship of Him is more utterly abandoned. I sing louder. I clap harder. I spread my hands toward heaven. And, I don't think about what the other people are thinking about me; I just 'love on' God.

The difference is that a whole bunch of New Testament verses now mean something to me personally. The law is abolished - that's for me!! Christ is my Vine - that's for me!! Reign in life by One - that's for me!! The entire New Testament has opened up in a very real and personal way. It's not just about dress codes, Bible versions, standards, and 'my church vs. your church'; it's about the Lord Jesus Christ and my union with Him, and His life in me, and ... wow! I just can't get past how AWESOME Jesus is!!

The difference is that I don't have so many fears. I am accepted by God, why should I fear what man will say to me or about me? I don't walk on eggshells. God has 'got my back' and He walks before me. I still have old hangups in this area where my mind needs transformed, where my new life in Christ hasn't quite taken over yet...but I have more hope than I once did, and more courage. I don't have to always be perfect.

Life under grace looks like an abundant life, a full life. It's all that I could ever ask for. It's the best of my old religious life, but with the added benefit of freedom.

I'm still growing in it. I'm still learning about it.

And, I highly recommend it.


(Read 'Grace Walk' by Steve McVey! It changed my life!)

|
This entry was posted on 3:50 PM and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

1 comments:

On April 4, 2010 at 9:22 PM , nat said...

Good stuff. I like the way that you BOLD the first sentence, and your style is easy to read.

This blogging stuff looks pretty neat. I may have to try it. I would probably have to apologize up front to some of your readers; I'm sure that I allow for more "boundaries" within my liberty than maybe y'all do, but, who knows, we might all learn something.