Author: Christopher
•10:04 AM

I love peace. When my heart is still, and my mind is calm, and all is right with the world, I love it. But every once in awhile, someone doesn't measure up to my expectations, or they hurt me, and I notice that my peace is gone.

It's during those times that my mind start whirring when my head is on the pillow. I talk to the person, or I yell at them, or I fight with them. And I feel anxious. And the peace is gone.

Unforgiveness has set in.

Ever been there? It's so sneaky that sometimes I don't recognize the signs until I've been doing it for several days. The thought of that person brings a look of contempt to my face. I don't like them. I don't like what they said. I don't like how they behave, or treat me. And I tell them so.

In my head.

Over and over, and over and over.

Paul talks in the Bible about a root of bitterness that gets down into our hearts, and embeds itself there. It becomes part of us. Think about that! It becomes part of our personality, shaping us, twisting us. And by it many are defiled, he says.

Have you ever known someone who was perfectly normal until a particular person came up in conversation? And then it happened. Their face changes. Their tongue begins to drip cynicism, and the bitterness flows. You can hear it in their voice, and you wonder why they can't. Are they even aware of how nasty they sound?

I don't ever want to be like that.

When I first notice that I have unforgiveness toward someone, I do something about it. Usually, I address them as if they are standing there with me. I call their name, and I say, "I forgive you."

It always make me smile. Sometimes, I have to do it a few times, but it always works.

My brother said something to me once that was very helpful:

"Whenever someone is forgiven, someone else has to bear the hurt. That's the way it was with Jesus. For him to forgive the world, he had to absorb the hurt . . . and give love in response."

The Lord Jesus had every reason to be bitter, but he overcame it. How? He offered forgiveness to them. He prayed for them. He loved them.

"Father, forgive them."

Beware of bitterness.
|
This entry was posted on 10:04 AM and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

0 comments: