Author: Christopher
•9:33 AM
A quick lesson for the kids.

When we look at the children of Israel wandering around in the desert, we learn a lesson that is key to the Christian life. As they wandered, they were following a pillar of smoke by day, and a pillar of fire by night. The pillar could move at any time. And often did.

Here's the lesson: When you don't want to move, God will often move you. When you want to move, God will often let you sit there.

He is breaking your will. He's also driving you crazy, but that's another lesson. He's also teaching you obedience, joy in any circumstance, and courage.

Here's another lesson: When you make up your mind to do something, God will often cause you to do something entirely different.

I remember when I was in my early 20's. I had finally decided that I was tired of asking God to show me what to do with my life, I was going to go to missionary school. I sent off a letter to a missions ministry down in Texas. In between the time it took to mail the letter, and the time it took to receive an answer, God spoke to me and had me enroll at a local Bible college. God changed everything just that fast.

In my early 40's, the same principle applies. My wife and I had been going to a wonderful church. I was the adult Sunday School teacher for 3 years. I had just begun a process of teaching through the entire Bible ("Might as well, I can't see us ever leaving," I said to myself), and within 3 months, we're moving 2 1/2 hours away for another job.

Sometimes, I get angry with God for messing up my plans. Am I not supposed to make any plans? Everybody tells me that I am. But the moment that I have something settled in my heart, "This is what I will do," He moves me. He changes things.

Here's the lesson. Make the plans. Write things in stone. Set out to do things.

And when God intervenes, realize that he isn't spoiling YOUR plans. He sees your potential, your desire, and so he is helping you. He is moving you in a better direction than what you could ever dream of.
|
This entry was posted on 9:33 AM and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

0 comments: