Author: Christopher
•11:29 PM

The question is a crucial one - What pleases God?

  1. Does daily prayer please God?
  2. Does giving regularly to your church please God?
  3. Does fasting please God?
  4. Does helping the poor please God?
  5. Does reading and studying the Bible please God?
  6. Does going to church please God?
  7. Does telling others about Jesus please God?

If you answered, Yes, to any of the above questions, I'd like for you to consider something.

The Pharisees fasted twice a week, gave of their money to the Temple, and had large sections of the Scriptures memorized. They would even "compass land and sea" to make one disciple.

But Jesus wasn't pleased with them; He called them hypocrites and vipers.

If doing the right things doesn't please God, then what does? Some would say, "Faith," after all Hebrews 11:6 says,"But without faith it is impossible to please him:" But that verse does not say that FAITH pleases God; it merely says that without faith it is impossible to please him.

Now what happens when we exercise faith? Do we accomplish something in the flesh, or in the Spirit? Obviously, in the Spirit. And if we are doing something in the Spirit, are we doing it, or is Christ doing it through us? Obviously, Christ is doing it through us.

John 8:29 tells us that Jesus always pleases the Father. ". . . I do always those things that please him."

Do you see now that the very question we started with, 'What pleases the Father?' dooms us to failure? The proper question should be, "Who pleases the Father?" It is Jesus who pleases the Father.

We fail to please the Father because we seek to please him apart from Christ's LIFE. We want to please the Father by doing actions similar to those of Jesus (WWJD?), but the Father is not interested in the actions, he is looking at the LIFE. He is looking for WHO does the action.

Is there LIFE in the action? Is Jesus doing it? Then it pleases the Father.
Is there DEATH in the action? Am I doing it? Then it does not please the Father.

I didn't say that 'I' don't please the Father. I always please the Father. I am accepted in the Beloved. But that which I 'do' does not please the Father. The moment that 'I' do something that pleases the Father, it is Jesus who is doing it. The action has been mixed with faith.

Again, if I do something in faith, it is no longer I that do it, but Christ who does it through me. Whatever Christ does pleases the Father.

If Jesus is the one giving, going, praying, fasting, and loving, then it pleases the Father.

Otherwise, it's just a religious list, and you might as well join the rank of hypocrites and vipers.


Furthermore, Galatians 5:6 tells us "faith which worketh by love." Faith works by love. Love is the power behind faith. But what is love? "God is love; and he that dwelleth in love dwelleth in God, and God in him." (1 John 4:16)

As we walk by faith in love, we walk in God. That is, Christ dwells in us and lives through us.

Do you understand these verses now?:

"Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal. And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries, and all knowledge; and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, and have not charity, I am nothing. And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, and have not charity, it profiteth me nothing." 1 Corinthians 13:1-3

Only that which is done in love pleases God. Faith works by love. God is love.

Who pleases God?

Jesus does.
|
This entry was posted on 11:29 PM and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

0 comments: